Saturday, May 3, 2008

Saturday - Bread Makin' Day

I do not consider myself a bread maker. Cornbread and biscuits are the only bread I have ever made that turned out edible! I tried this recipe several weeks ago and love it! I feel like a “semi-bread maker” - not a full blooded one by no means! I tried to make this in metal loaf pans – regular and non-stick – but it came out chewy and browned too fast. I had a white Corning Ware (from the 80’s) loaf pan that I have always used for meatloaf and tried baking the bread in it. It came out so good that I bought two more (clear Pyrex) glass loaf pans so I could bake three loaves at one time. My house smelled great! My boys were very impressed. It doesn’t take much to please them…..

Beer Bread
3 cups self-rising flour
4 tablespoons sugar
1 – 12oz. can beer

Mix together well and pour in a greased and floured glass 5x9 baking dish. Bake on 325 for 50 – 55 minutes or until golden brown. Pour ¼ of a cup of melted butter on top while still hot. Let cool on a wire rack. I found that if I wrap it with aluminum foil while it is still just a little warm and put it in the fridge until it is completely cool, the bread is softer and easier to slice.

I love this toasted in the oven for breakfast with scrambled eggs or jelly. This bread freezes really well.

Lesa

No comments: