Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Cheese & Smooth Peanut Butter

I am a secretary in an elementary school. I am convinced that we have the cutest and smartest kids in our school. I love my job even when some of the little angels "lose their halos" and have to spend time in the office.

I am amazed on a daily basis at the things that they say. Today a little sweetheart came to my office on an errand for her teacher. She is in the first grade. Our conversation went like this:

Ellie (eyes dancing): “Oooo – those are cute little note pads! What do you use them for?”

Me: “I use them to write notes on when I mark pages or forms.”

Ellie: “They sure are small. They are small enough for a mouse to write on.”

Me: “If you were a mouse, what would you write on the little note pad?”

Ellie(very slow and thoughtful): “I would make a grocery list.”

Me: “What would you put on the grocery list?”

Ellie: “What do mice like to eat?”

Me: “Cheese, peanut butter.”

Ellie (eyes dancing again): “Peanut butter and crackers are my favorite.”

Me: “Do you like crunchy or smooth peanut butter?”

Ellie: “Smooth.”

Me: “Me too.”

Ellie: "I would put cheese and smooth peanut butter on the list."

In my mind, I could see a little mouse, with a long tail, holding a large pencil trying to writing out his grocery list for the week.
cheese
smooth peanut butter

Ellie is a girl after my own heart. We both like cute little note pads, smooth peanut butter, and we both have vivid imaginations. If only I had some peanut butter and crackers in my desk. We could have had a picnic……

Lesa

4 comments:

Diane@Diane's Place said...

I wonder if Ellie has ever read the book "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie..." With her imagination she'd probably love it. YOU might even appreciate it. ;o)

By the way, Winnie is adorable! She looks like a little character.

Have a great Wednesday, Lesa. :o)

Love and hugs,

Diane

Jen said...

How sweet. Little kids say the cutest things. I just love it. I admire you for doing what you do...caring for the kids....

Susan said...

I too like smooth over crunchy. You have such a way with words. It's not fair that you got all of the talent in the family. Oh well...At least I have the most beautiful baby in the world. Our precious little "Winnie" can now shake her head no & laugh at the same time. What fun 9 month olds are!
Love,
Susan

Shawna said...

Oh, Lesa, this is the cutest story! :0)