Thursday, June 19, 2008

Update on Bird Nest

Sad news - the eggs are gone! I was going to show the nest to my sister when she came this morning and the eggs were gone! I almost cried! My first thought was that a cat had got into the nest last night and ate the bird eggs. The spider plant was sitting on a table on my porch. This afternoon, I hung the plant up to where a cat couldn't get to it in case the mother bird comes back to lay more eggs. (I know - silly thought - but I can hope!) I hope the mother got away! Then my husband and sister had an even more horrible thought than a cat getting into the basket. They thought maybe it was a snake! There were no shells around - a cat would not eat shells too. I hate the thought of a snake being on my porch - too close to my front door! I don't care what kind of snake it is - a dead snake is the best kind in my book!
Lesa

2 comments:

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Aww, that's so sad! Maybe the Mama bird did get away, and maybe she WILL lay another clutch of eggs in your spider plant. Here's hoping!

Hope all's well with you and yours, Lesa.

Love and hugs,

Diane

Genevieve Netz said...

That's very sad. I know how disappointing it is. One year, I had a kildeer nest in my garden, and something got those eggs. We did find egg shells, though, so it might have been a raccoon or skunk or possum. I think even rats will eat bird eggs. I don't think a house cat would have recognized the eggs as food, but a feral cat would.