Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Let the Christmas Projects Begin!

Every year about this time I start thinking about my Christmas projects. Most people start in July. Not me. I try to pack it all into three months! I create better under stress and we all know how we love stress…….

Tonight I finished painting a few glass Christmas ornaments. I have been painting and selling my ornaments for about eight years. One year I painted over 80 ornaments and sold them. That was before I started working full time during the summer months. Each year I try to come up with a different style. This year I decided to paint candy canes. I always paint the first one for my dear friend. She is like my "World Premiere"! Then I start taking orders from other people. Each ornament has the year, the name of the family, and all the family members names painted on it. I have even painted the names of cats and dogs on a family ornament. I take custom orders so every ornament is different and unique. This is the candy cane ornaments for 2008:

I have been saving burnt out light bulbs. They are so little and cute. Yes – I save everything.
(I think it’s the classic middle child syndrome – more on that in another post…..) I drilled a hole in the top for the ribbon and painted a few of these. These will make great stocking stuffers or small gifts for people at work. (My camera flash does funky things with the glossy finish on the ornaments.)

I try to make a lot of our gifts at Christmas. With the economy like it is this year, I think I need to get busy!

Lesa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool! I esp. like the little ones :-)

I may have to borrow your idea. Of course, I won't sell them and be your competition...I'll give them as gifts to my out-of-town family :-)

Genevieve Netz said...

Those are really nifty. I admire your steady hand with the paintbrush!

daisy said...

Oh! I love the painted pointy lightbulbs! What a GREAT idea. The ornaments that you buy like that are so stinkin expensive.

Thanks for sharing, and thanks for stopping by my giveaway. :)