Wednesday, October 29, 2008
This is what I had to do:
So here it goes --
- I was born with 3 kidneys. My kidneys work like normal kidneys. No – I don’t have to go to the bathroom more than the normal person. I was also born with only one ovary. This explains why God blessed me with only one child. I didn’t know about the missing ovary until 4 years ago when I had surgery. I would love to adopt but who is going to let a 47 year old couple adopt a child?
- I could almost be a vegetarian. I don’t like processed preformed meats. If it wasn’t for bacon and country ham – I could really be a vegetarian.
- I have never liked glitter. Even as a child in school – I hated glitter. I can’t stand the way it sticks to everything. The feel of it on my skin bothers me. I look like a cat in a litter pan trying to get it off my hands! I have this fear that it will get in my eyes or up my nose.
- The smell of pancake syrup makes me sick. I got sick after eating pancakes when I was pregnant 27 years ago. You just never get over something that comes flying out your nose when you are pregnant.
- I got so nervous that I wet my pants in front of the church when I ten years old during Bible drills. It ran down my legs into my white dressy socks and went into my black paten leather shoes. There was never a drop on the floor. My shoes were full. Now this happens when I sneeze or cough suddenly!
- I am convinced that I have ADD and OCD. During in-service trainings, I count the ceiling tiles or notice every flaw in the ceiling or walls. Then I realize that I have missed half of what I should of heard. At church, I can tell you how many light bulbs are in each light fixture and which ones needed to be changed a month ago. I look for patterns in flooring or fabrics. I notice odd things that normal people don’t notice.
- I am addicted to boxes – all shapes and sizes. I am especially drawn to small boxes. I can never throw away a good box. It’s like a friend that I may need to call on later to help me out! I will admit. I am a pack rat!
So there. I have now confessed some of my unknown secrets and weird facts. I’m not going to tag anyone but if you want to participate – go ahead – knock yourself out! It has been fun reading what people tell about themselves!
Have a great rest of the week!
Sunday, October 12, 2008
Tuesday, October 7, 2008
Tonight I finished painting a few glass Christmas ornaments. I have been painting and selling my ornaments for about eight years. One year I painted over 80 ornaments and sold them. That was before I started working full time during the summer months. Each year I try to come up with a different style. This year I decided to paint candy canes. I always paint the first one for my dear friend. She is like my "World Premiere"! Then I start taking orders from other people. Each ornament has the year, the name of the family, and all the family members names painted on it. I have even painted the names of cats and dogs on a family ornament. I take custom orders so every ornament is different and unique. This is the candy cane ornaments for 2008:
I have been saving burnt out light bulbs. They are so little and cute. Yes – I save everything.
(I think it’s the classic middle child syndrome – more on that in another post…..) I drilled a hole in the top for the ribbon and painted a few of these. These will make great stocking stuffers or small gifts for people at work. (My camera flash does funky things with the glossy finish on the ornaments.)
I try to make a lot of our gifts at Christmas. With the economy like it is this year, I think I need to get busy!
Sunday, October 5, 2008
Yes - I stopped in the middle of the road.....
My cousin reminded me yesterday that I have not posted anything new on here in awhile. I feel like such a slacker! I have been so busy and stressed with work that I come home and collapse just about every afternoon! It seems like work has been consuming every spare moment of my life lately. I'm so ready for things to slow down at work! Fall break starts October 13 and I can't wait!
I've been busy today just enjoying being at home. I made a large pot of beef & vegetable soup and put most of it in the freezer. I froze enough for about 4 meals. It will taste great on those cool evenings when I don't feel like cooking supper. All I will have to do is warm up the soup and maybe fix some cornbread to go with it when I get home. Grilled cheese or pimento cheese sandwiches would be good with it too.
I also made M&M Cookies tonight. I used a sugar cookie recipe and added 2 cups of Halloween M&Ms. I didn't chill the dough like the recipe suggested. I just rolled them into golf ball sized balls and pressed them down with my fingers. I made about 3 dozen and I'm sure they will not last long around here! Here is a picture (click on it to make it bigger) of the recipe card and a few of the cookies:
My big project for today was making a rack to put on my kitchen door. A friend of mine from work showed me this picture in a Penney's catalog this past week and my first thought was - I can make one of those!
My husband gave me a jigsaw and cordless drill for Christmas a few years ago. I have made simple little shelves and racks since then. This afternoon we went to Lowes and I bought some pieces of wood, hooks, and spray paint for my project. I didn't want it as long as the one the picture. I'm going to hang it up tomorrow afternoon in my kitchen. I had to touch up a few places on the wood tonight with the paint where a bug got on it while it was still wet. I can't wait to hang up my old aprons and dish cloths on it! The best part is I spent about $10 to make this rack!
I hope this week goes by fast. I have a big box of pine cones waiting for me to play with next week. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do with them but I'm sure an idea will come to me soon. If you have any pine cone suggestions, please let me know!
I thinking of some kind of Christmas decorations......
Have a great week!